The Greenlist of English Schools in Japan

Thoughts and Opinions on Teaching English in Japan, plus many lists of good schools in Japan at our homepage. You can post your resume or job for free too. Check out the homepage!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

How to Use the Greenlist of English Schools in Japan

There are over 30 schools listed here now. The best way to use the list is to scroll down to see all of the schools listed.

Use the Greenlist as a starting point. Then do your own research on the school.
Check out the school`s website and ask at some forums you trust. Try to get a range of opinions from bad to good, because the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Good luck in your search, and I hope the Greenlist makes it a little less
stressful,and helps you to land the job you want.

I wish there had been a Greenlist when I came to Japan. Instead I got a boss that liked to cut up live goldfish and feed them to his pirhanas (no joke!).
I hope you won`t experience the same!

Kevin Burns


Thursday, October 25, 2007

Nova Declares Bankruptcy, Canadian Embassy Tries to Help those Affected

The Canadian Embassy has opted to send this message to all registrants
on the Japan country profile, to ensure that we can reach as many
Canadians affected by this situation as possible.

If you know of any Canadians in your area of Japan who are not already
registered in ROCA, please be sure to share the following information
with them, and also take the opportunity to recommend registration.
As you may have already heard in the news today (October 26), NOVA
English school has filed for bankruptcy. In this message, the Embassy
endeavours to communicate as much information as possible to assist you in
planning your next steps.

The Canadian Embassy is monitoring the situation and remains ready to
receive enquiries and provide the best advice we can.

Employees with concerns should consider contacting one of the two
regional Nova offices which have been tasked with responding to employee
queries, the workers' union representing Nova employees, and their local
labour advisory office. Contact details are:
- West Japan: Osaka Office (06) 7688-0404
- East Japan: Tokyo Office (03) 6688-4441
Nova has advised that it is in the process of putting related
information for employees including questions and answers up on its website at

General Union - Nova Branch: (06) 6352-9619

The assistance that the Embassy of Canada is able to provide you is
limited to that which is stipulated in the Consular Service Standards

The Embassy is neither legal expert nor labour law specialist; we do
not possess the expertise to be able to advise you on these topics thus
we have been, and continue in, encouraging individuals to seek out
subject-expert advice from local providers. The following is a list of
contacts for services and official Japanese advisory organisations that may
be of assistance. Many are Tokyo-based but they should be able to
direct you to resources in your vicinity:

If you did wish to look into the option of hiring a private lawyer, the
Embassy can provide a list of lawyers, some with English speaking

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Consultation Service for Foreigners:
They offer advice in English on a range of issues. Their opening
times are: Monday to Friday, 9:30am - 12:00 noon and 1:30pm - 5pm.

For employment and labour-specific advice, the following telephone
number is for the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Labour Advisory Service
Centre for Foreigners: 03-5211-2346. They offer advice in English from
2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday to Friday.

Also, many City Offices across Japan have foreign residents'
consultation services. You may wish to check with your local City Office to see
what services they have available.

If you have any employment/work visa questions (i.e. sponsored visas,
changing employment), the best people to consult would be the Tokyo
Regional Immigration Bureau:

In the event of unemployment, we understand that some foreign employees
in Japan may be eligible for unemployment benefits. We understand
that it depends on what type of employment insurance the employee holds,
as well as how long they have been working, and under what circumstances
they ceased their employment. If you should wish to make enquiries as
to whether you are eligible for unemployment benefits, you should
consult with your local Hello Work Office. The following website advises
of some Hello Work Offices that are able to offer foreign language

Financial Issues:

We understand that many of you have major concerns about this. The
Embassy is available to assist you to contact your family or friends in
Canada and facilitate private funds transfers between you and them should
the need arise; however, we cannot provide financial funding for
Canadians to remain overseas.

Money transfer methods include wire deposits into a personal Japanese
bank account (or a Canadian bank account accessible from Japan e.g. by
ATM card), credit card account, or instant transfers via Western Union
( - Please note that the Japanese agent of which is
Suruga Bank with branches located in the Tokyo, Kanagawa, Shizuoka and
Aichi areas. Alternatively, your family member can contact the
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada in Ottawa to obtain
information on how to transfer funds through the department.

If you are seeking alternative work in order to stay in Japan, you may
wish to discuss your situation with your family and friends to ensure
you have arrangements in place should the necessity for emergency funds
arise. Also, please ensure to contact your nearest Immigration Bureau
Office to obtain more information about changing jobs.

If you are planning to go home to Canada anytime between now and the
holiday season, we strongly encourage you to start making travel
arrangements immediately. Mid-December marks the beginning of the
holiday/Christmas high season; consequently, airfares will rise significantly, and
ticket availability will become scarce.

Rates quoted to the Embassy as of Friday morning, October 26, 2007 are:

Air Fare by H.I.S. (One-way ticket, in JPY)
. Weekend rates 5,000 yen will be added to rates stated below.
. After Dec 23, these airfares will go by approximately 100,000 yen or
. AC= Air Canada; UA= United Airlines

NRT - Toronto
Nov.01 - AC 103,000; UA 64,000 (via Chicago)
Dec.01 - AC 103,000; UA 69,000 (via Chicago)

NRT - Vancouver
Nov. 01 - AC 74,000; UA 64,000 (via Chicago)
Dec. 01 - AC 74,000; UA 69,000 (via Chicago)

KIX (Kansai Airport)- Toronto

Nov. 01 AC 118,000; UA 66,000 (via San Fran)
Dec 01 - AC 118,000; UA 66,000 (via San Fran)

KIX - Vancouver
Nov. 01 - AC 88,000; UA 66,000 (via San Fran)
Dec 01 - AC 88,000; UA 66,000 (via San Fran)

We hope that this information will be of use to you.

Consular Section
Embassy of Canada
Tokyo, Japan

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Greenlist Recommends...

Todd R. Lenkowski`s
California Bear English Club
3F 1-3-1 Tsujidoshinmachi
Fujisawa, Kanagawa
TEL/FAX: (0466) 35 3038

California Bear is located in a very nice part of
Japan--the Shonan area. It is an area that boasts nice

Labels: ,